And that's a wrap

 With the onset of the last month of the year and end of first semester, it got me analyzing about things, events, and people around me. To reflect back on major events that occurred to me on the preceding months; I had leave my country to upgrade my qualification and to climb up the ladder of professional growth. Never had I loved my subject more than anyone and anything in this world. Somehow, Psychology never fails to fascinate me. I was very keen to learn more, content-wise, about the subject and this is the very reason for choosing India for my masters degree as the country is known for qualitative content.  I still remember, very vividly, how excited I was on my first day to college. Unlike usual me, I woke up three hours earlier and got ready before two hours of the first period of the college. The moment my tutor started teaching, I thought it out loud, 'What the hell is this?' It also made question about me being in the wrong class. Never-the-less, I consoled myself by reasoning out that it is too early for me to be judgmental and to draw any conclusion with just a day's experience. As the days passed into months, and with two mid-exams and a semester exams, my prior thought about my department was very apt. I don't know whether the problem is with the students or administration but during exams, be it internal or final, the sight of students cheating right under the nose of invigilator, is very common. Out of 26 students, only 5 or 6 students attending classes regularly is a latest fad in my department. Tutors dictating notes instead of elaborating difficult concept is an integral part of their teaching style. Note dictation rules out everything.  


As I think of all these events happening in my department, I find it very devastating and am highly demotivated, up to the point of leaving everything behind and get tempted to just walk away from it. As a educator, I find it very unprofessional of my tutor's part to be laid back in their teaching strategies. Incorporating new strategy and skill in daily teaching is a far cry and a dream, impossible to turn into reality. More than 80 percent of content is delivered in their local dialect though it claims English to be the medium of instruction. I can tolerate the use of local dialect as the medium of instruction as long as the concerned tutor makes sure to repeat the same thing in English but there are few tutors who go on jabbering in their dialect for whole hour and doesn't even acknowledge my existence in the class.

I agree, any school in every part of the world, has few students who engage in malpractices but WHO IS TO BE BLAMED? Is it student's lack of preparedness for the exams or is it the shortcomings of the administration with their inability to enforce stringent rules? On a moral ground, it is very shameful and degrading to see such events occurring in every paper and the most devastating part is the active involvement of invigilators. My inner peace and conscience was distorted by these events for weeks.

And with these unsettlingly disturbing events of 2015, I hope with brand new year, I will be able to figure my way out to resolve those unresolved issues. Personally, I feel it is worst way to wrap up with several unresolved issues but at the same time, it acts as a strong agenda for me to be more determined with an open mind to view life from different perspectives.

(Note: This article is not to judge anybody but to project the reality from the author's  perspective) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Personal Roadmap for Twenty Twenty-Four

Precious: Anecdotes of a Pampered Purr-sonality and Her Influence on My Life

Chaos to Calm: Understanding and Embracing Changes with Elegance and Grace